I am happy to be here today sharing one of my favorite tote bags - The 1 Hour Reversible Tote Bag. And great news, this is a free PDF pattern available in my online store.
I love this tote. You can roll it up and fit into your purse or even a suitcase. It is big and small at the same time. It holds all your essentials, yet is small enough for a quick trip to the store. The best part - you can sew it in under 1 hour. Plus, make sure to select two really fun fabrics, because it is reversible!
I have 2 little boys and this bag holds everything for a quick trip to the park - diapers, a changing pad, wipes plus all the hot wheels and monster trucks that 2 little boys need.
- 2 colors of cotton or cotton canvas fabric
(The materials I used are Starry Linen Quarter Fabric Pack (Discontinued) / Ink Cotton 20C from Dailylike Canada)
- 3 yards of 1" cotton webbing
- Disappearing fabric pen
- Sewing machine and supplies
- Iron and ironing board
A couple of things to consider:
- Don't twist the straps when sewing the webbing to the bag. While you are wrapping and pinning the webbing around the raw edges, make sure it lays nice and flat.
- You can make the straps any length. Just change the strap length to suit your armhole.
- Make sure to decide on your strap length BEFORE you cut the webbing.
Let's get started:
- Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of your outside fabric. Place and pin pattern on the fabric. Cut out 2 outside and 2 lining pieces.
- Place outside pieces on top of each other, right sides facing. Pin. Place into sewing machine and stitch side seams and bottom together with a 1/2" seam allowance. Repeat for lining pieces. Press seams. Open seams and press again.
- Create the bottom of the bag - wiggle the bottom seam to meet the side seam. Sit the seams directly on top of one another. Pin in place. Repeat for the other corner. Place into sewing machine and stitch with a 1/2". Repeat for the lining.
- Turn outside bag right side facing out. Leave lining right side facing in. Place the lining into the main bag. Wiggle bottom corners and side seams into place. Match at side seams and pin. Place into sewing machine and baste along top edge 1/8" from top edge.
- Measure 10" of webbing and cut. Repeat and cut another piece.
- Lay bag on work surface. Cover the center front raw edge with the 10" piece of webbing. Pin and place into sewing machine. Edgestitch webbing along the center front. Repeat for the center back. Trim the ends off.
- Create the continuous strap - start at one side seam and cover the raw edge with webbing. Pin in place. Continue up the side seam towards the front top edge curve. Pin to hold in place. Leave 18" of webbing free and then pin the webbing in place at the other side, top front edge. Pin. Continue around side seam [ covering raw edges] and repeat for the back. Place into your sewing machine and edgestitch along the webbing. As you stitch the strap, fold in half. Stitch in one continuous loop, including along the 18" strap. Backstitch.
That's it! Fun right? These make perfect gifts. With gift giving right around the corner why not sew a bunch?