2. Decide the width of the bag W
6. Draw a rectangular piece B x A - this will be the pattern for the sides
1. Daily Like Canada Lesser Panda oxford cotton for the face of the bag and for the top side of handle
2. Daily Like Canada Peaceful Green cotton 20C for the lining
3. Daily Like Canada Sage Green oxford cotton for the handle base
3. Daily Like Canada Hill cotton 20C for the bias binding
4. A piece of Daily Like Canada Winter Fox oxford cotton for the pocket
5. Daily Like Canada Winter Fox Mini-pocket Mirror
6. Daily Like Canada Winter Fox Note Card
7. Daily Like Canada Winter Fox Pen
7. Daily Like Canada Lesser Panda Tag
8. Daily Like Canada Leather Tag 'Handmade'
9. "Inazuma" magnetic button, 3 mm
10. Fusible Batting
11. Heavy weight fusible interfacing
2. Prepare the continuous bias binding , using the Hill cotton 20C.
3. Position the patterns over the fat-quarter of the Lesser Panda oxford. Draw with a washable marker, or tailor's chalk.
4. Cut around the lines, leaving 5 mm allowance for the seam.
5. Follow the steps 2-3 for the lining.
6. Cut the batting and the fusible interfacing, without leaving seam allowance.
7. Apply the fusible batting to the wrong side of the Lesser Panda oxford cotton.
Note: Because the fabric, used for the face, has a directional pattern, the print on the back of the bag will appear upside-down. If you would like to avoid that, make sure that you cut a separate piece of fabric for the back, leaving seam allowances where the seams would be.
9. Mark the parts A, B and C on the interfaced bag lining and press with an iron to form the folds. Now you have a pretty good idea of the shape of your bag. This helps a lot for adding the embellishments.
10. Sew the tags on the lining part, where desired and attach both parts of the magnetic button in a way so they meet nicely and the closure is perfectly centred. Add the pocket to the lining.
11. Pin the face and lining together, wrong sides facing. Baste all around.
12. Bind the outside edge of part A, which would be on the inside of the bag. If you have curves there, bind along the curve. Leave the piece aside, work on the side parts and the handle.
13. Cut a bias strip of the Sage oxford cotton long enough to form a handle and 4 cm wide.
14. Cut a strip from the Lesser Panda fabric, the same length, 3.5 cm wide.
15. Interface the bias strip, using heavy weight interfacing.
16. Fold both sides of the strip towards the centre, almost meeting them and press with iron.
17. Fold the Lesser Panda strip in a same manner. Top the Sage oxford cotton strip with the Lesser Panda one, wrong sides facing and top stitch.
18. Cut and interface two pieces of Hill cotton 20C, size B cm x 3.5cm to make the handle fasteners. Form folds on both sides 0.7 cm inward. Pin them on the Lesser Panda bag sides, 2 cm bellow the top edge. Insert the handle in the fasteners and top stitch, along the lines. Top stitch again, forming a cross for stability. I used jeans cotton thread.
I added a thin cut of the Winter Fox fabric, where the Winter Fox pen could hang.
Now you have both sides of the bag, connected with the handle.
22. Press with an iron, fold the bias and slip stitch on the opposite side.
23. Enjoy the beautiful little treasure you are holding in hands and be proud with your creation.
The card and the pen are a must, because the most adventurous beautiful day will be shared in words there and sealed until her next visit to Nova Scotia. The mirror is for playing 'Sunny bunny" with the landscape and creating effects on the photographs. She has thought everything through. When it comes to exploration, she is an expert.
Well, I think that was all! The bags are all packed, and the new items, my daughter has now will travel in the car. Crossing the Appalachian Mountains is a real adventure. The road twists up and down on both sides of painfully green forests and there are so many lookout spots to stop and admire the scenery. She insists of having her binocular handy.
I cut and made an easy bandana from the Evergreen cotton 20C, that she attached to the bag, threw some nut cookies in the clear cellophane Lesser Panda bags for the trails and well equipped, we are leaving ...
Thank you so much, lovely friends, for visiting my happy corner!
Wishing you happy summer days!